Peter Drucker, the management expert, has written: “In a world buffeted by change, faced daily with new threats to survival, the only way to conserve is by innovating.”
On the surface, Drucker’s, statement is interesting because we would think institutions, such as, big business and government would lead the way. Not so! Average, everyday people are “taking it upon themselves to fix things and who, in many cases, are outperforming traditional organizations or making systems work better,” writes, David Bornstein for The New York Times.
With that in mind, we want to highlight several organizations funding and celebrating social changing making, just in case you’re wantied to do something big and improve the lives of people:
- Downser founded by Bornstein: This presents the world through a ‘solution frame,’ rather than a ‘problem frame.’ We’re interested in the practical and human elements of social innovation: Who’s solving what and how. We want to know how people come up with ideas, how they put them into practice, how they pay the bills, and what fuels their fire.
- Schwab Foundation: This organization funds social entrepreneur programs and entrepreneurs working as change-makers.
- Acumen Fund: This organization’s vision is that one day every human being will have access to the critical goods and services they need – including affordable health, water, housing, energy, agricultural inputs and services – so that they can make decisions and choices for themselves and unleash their full human potential. This is where dignity starts – not just for the poor but for everyone on earth.
- Rainer Arnhold Fellows Program: These fellows are social entrepreneurs with particularly promising solutions to the big problems in health, poverty, and conservation in the Third World.
- The Awesome Foundation: We are an ever-growing, worldwide network of people devoted to forwarding the interest of awesomeness in the universe.
You now, just after Apple CEO Steve Jobs passed away, he left us with this thought. “Everything around you that you call life was made up by people no smarter than you. You can change it. You can influence it. You can build things people can use.” We might also add, you can change things too, but the change starts with you.